Ads By CbproAds

Welcome to Live a Beautiful Life!

We share tips and ideas to make the everyday person keep sane and more productive in achieving his/her dream life.

Your Ad Here
Monday, April 6, 2009

Labels: , , ,

How to Love a Task that You Hate?

Successful people make a habit of doing those things that unsuccessful people are unwilling to do.

Let's face it. If we are going to truly excel in our life and business, than there are certain tasks that we simply must do. Many of these tasks strike us as just plain unpleasant, even painful.

Unfortunately, we are wired to avoid pain. This means that unless we change our perspective on certain Peak Performance behaviors, we will avoid them, and sabotage our own success.

On the other hand, perhaps we will do our necessary tasks, but complete them with clenched teeth, furrowed brows and irritation coursing through our bodies. That state is not very pleasant, and will seriously hurt our productivity. What happens when we need to speak in that mood? We say ugly, unproductive things!

What is the ideal solution? It's simple.
Learn to love the task that you hate.
Yes, you can. Remember, it is not the task that makes your mood. It's what you tell yourself about that task.

Now, the first time I discovered this, I was in a moment of motherhood- vexation. Since then, I've applied this strategy to my business tasks with great success too.

Here's what happened...

I was in the mini-van driving all four of my children to all kinds of different places. I felt like I had a hundred other things that I should have been doing, and I realized that I despised the thankless job of taxi-driver. As I sat there scowling and driving, I realized that I needed help.

In a still agitated voice I shouted to the kids, "What is great about car time?"
All four glanced at each other, looked confused and asked "What?"
"What is great about car time?" I asked, a little nicer. "I know I need a new attitude and I'm feeling stuck."
Soon, they came up with some benefits:
"We get where we need to go."
"We get to listen to new music on the radio."
"We get to tell you about our day."
"We get to be together."
"We get to have our gratitude parties."
And on they went.

Somehow, after each idea, I felt better.
It was true. We so rarely got to be together at home to talk and sing, and laugh. What a great opportunity we had in the car. Why did I possibly hate it so much?
From that moment on, I have loved "car time." I've loved it on long road trips when we were stuck in traffic, and I've loved it when we were just coming straight home after school.
I find treasure in having all four of my kids in such close proximity to me. When their dad is around, it's even better.

I've learned to love a task that I once hated.

Since then, I've helped myself attach pleasure to all sorts of unpleasant tasks, and the result has been what we're all after anyway - greater peace, joy, and more profit.

What is it that you need to do? What is keeping you from doing it with a smile?

I once had a staff member who made his living as a tele-marketer. He totally hated it, until he used his acting skills and started making his calls with different foreign accents. He started setting records at his company because
he was having so much fun.

At that point, he got promoted to something he truly enjoyed.

What is one success-habit that you dread, but which could make you much more successful? Only you know the answer to that.

Whatever it is, here are three empowering questions regarding that task:
1. Why is this task important?
2. What is great about this task?
3. How can I do it in a way that is enjoyable?
Take a few minutes to answer those questions. We would love to hear what you come up with.

Nothing is impossible. You can think, act, and feel like successful people do, and achieve the same results.
You're already successful.
Now, play to win.

[Source: builttowincoaching.com, by Gina Parris]



buy Buy 1d a cuppa chocolate!



Print this post


Share This Post:

Digg Sphinn del.icio.us Facebook Mixx Google Bloglines Ask De.lirio.us Reddit StumbleUpon Ma.gnolia Technorati YahooMyWeb Newsvine co.mments e-mail Furl WindowsLive Slashdot Simpy SphereIt Spurl blinkbits BlinkList PlugIM Diigo Bebo Twitter

0 comments:

Related Posts

Your Visitor Number

Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.